Updated: Mar 11, 2021
This recipe has been shared by Cyrus Todiwala. Enjoy!
This is a typical Parsee style simple chicken preparation. It has to be one of my favourites and is also an excellently goes with my all time favourite ‘Than Daar.’ Its simplicity is perhaps what gives it the character.
500 g chicken cut into even sized pieces
2 medium sized chopped onions
2 one-inch pieces of cinnamon stick
3 to 4 green cardamom
1 or 2 black cardamom (don’t worry if you can’t find these)
2 or 3 cloves
1 or 2 large potatoes
1 chopped tomato (gives a good flavour but avoid if you like)
1 tbsp cumin powder (level)
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder (level)
1 (heaped) tablespoon of ginger/garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 to 3 whole red chillies — break into pieces
2 to 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
Salt (as desired)
1) Clean and cut the chicken into the desired sized pieces — If you prefer then retain the skin, or use de-boned chicken.
2) Add the oil in a heavy casserole and heat it till it gets a haze on the top. Add all the whole spices as well as the red chillies. As soon as you see the spices swell and puff and change colour add the chopped onions and sauté until they get a good brown colour.
3) Do not allow the chillies to burn. Add the chicken and seal well turning occasionally so that it browns better. When the liquid has almost dried up add the powder and the ginger/garlic paste, stir well.
4) Meanwhile peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks or cut them lengthways into fours.
5) When the chicken and the masala is well sautéed add salt, the potatoes & enough water or stock to just about a little more than half cover the chicken, close the pot with a tight lid and simmer.
6) Check from time to time also ensuring that the sides of the pot are kept clean.
7) Add the tomatoes if you like, when the chicken is half cooked, cover the pot and simmer.
8) When the chicken is cooked, check for seasoning again.
9) Before serving sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander as well as blend some in if you like fresh coriander. This will give the product a huge kick.
Fancy giving this recipe a try? Make sure to tag us on Instagram: @bigcurrynightinuk #BigCurryNightIn